Friday, March 23, 2012

Spirit of Prayer

Since the early 1950's I have learned one lesson well.  The Lord God of Heaven is concerned with the affairs of man.  With that sobering thought, I write today.

For several days my tears have come by the blink of an eye.  Also my spirit has troubled me about praying.  For whom I don't always know, however the urgency from the Spirit has been enough to move me to action. 

I love how the Lord speaks to us through the Holy Ghost to do His bidding.  I find that when I do not know who I'm praying for, the Spirit does.  The verse from Rom_8:26 bears this out.   "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." 

Did I say I love that verse?  How precious when the Lord God saw there would be times our limited vocabulary would keep us from bringing our petitions to Him.  He made a way - by His spirit living in us - to do our praying for us. 

For that reason the Holy Ghost is nothing to be afraid of.  We must embrace the Holy Ghost as our gift from a Holy God that said in John 16:13,  "Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth:..."

Sad, the Holy Ghost is rarely spoken of in some circles who once embraced the powerful part of the trinity at work in the world today.  When the Holy Ghost came after Jesus Ascension into Heaven, the Lord told us His indwelling would be for this reason:  "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."   Acts 1:8

Along with the "great commission" the Lord God knew we mere human beings would need more than our intellect to spread the Gospel of Jesus around the neighborhood and the world.  So, it appears He had a plan from the beginning for us to have help.

Maybe this blog today is for you and I to check ourselves!  Could it be we have not embraced the Holy Ghost (the Holy Spirit) as we should?  Could our lack of personal evangelism be due to our misunderstanding that spreading the Gospel (Good news) is left up to a few?  Have we been called to prayer lately only to come before the Lord and not know who we are praying for nor whom?  Do we always have to know for whom we are praying?

It is great when we know - however it is still great when we don't know.  Being obedient to the call of prayer, the Lord sees our heart in wanting to intercede.  However He always welcomes the Holy Ghost to pray in our stead so He Himself can set things in order to get our prayers answered.

Yours for God's service
Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment