Saturday, February 11, 2012

Christians Under Construction

We were within 30 minutes or so of landing in Nashville, TN.  that day.  Coming from a trip out of the country, I was nearing home and Nashville would be a short stop over.  The sky was clear and from my lofty position I could scope the entire town and beyond with a sweep of my eyes, with only a few clouds spotting the sky. I love setting at the window seat, for I always searched for familiar sights below, trying to recognize the L & C tower in this case.

In my years of travel, I’ve flown over mountains, fields, cities, oceans, rivers and streams. After awhile everything begins to look the same. Blocks of land outlined by trees or fences or streams, make a picture that resembles a patchwork quilt. However…on this flight, my eyes caught sight of what looked like a pile of rubble. I searched intently for anything that would tell me a tornado or storm had passed through the area.

As the plane continued to circle the city waiting for clearance to land, I realized what I was seeing from my high perch was a building sight. Houses or maybe apartment buildings were under construction. The debris was piles of lumber, roofing shingles, sacks of nails, cement mixer and bags of concrete mix. It was a hodgepodge of material waiting for the builder when he needed them in constructing a beautiful home where the walls would eventually ring with laughter; It would eventually become a place some one called home.

Having come from a Talk and Prayer retreat, my mind was receptive to a spiritual lesson of sorts.

"So that is how it is”, I mused comparing our life to that of the building site. We are Christians under construction. I wonder if God sees us in our state of incompletion with rubble around us. Has He placed the necessary equipment around us to complete the finished product?  Is this how we must look in our unfinished state, a pile of rubble?

Even though you and I  are in an unfinished stage of our Christian walk- rest assured that God has the blue-print. He is the master builder and He knows how to bring all the material into our lives for us to become the finished product He has designed. Others may see us as rubble, and wonder how we will ever amount to anything. That’s OK. Ephesians 2:10 says “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus…”, and the finished product will be just like the blueprint if we cooperate with the Master Builder.

Yours for Christ,
Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment