Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Walking Through Valleys


I’ve been too mad to write these past few days.  I can’t even tell you why.  I did have a conversation today that may shed some light on my outburst of anger.  My blood sugar is probably high.  I don’t check my sugar levels as I should, so when it is high I am not aware of how high.  I took the excuse - and agree that is the possible reason, however does it excuse my feelings of aggravations?  I’m not sure it would hold water with the Lord.  Even though there is no question He loves me.  You and I love our children.  They can do nothing to make us not love them.  They are our flesh and blood.  Yet we have to shake our head in disappointment when we see them out of control or throwing tantrums.  Not that I have been that bad, but of course I did not stand back and look at myself either.

I don’t like those days of not having answers.  It is like being in the middle of a test I didn’t study for, and groping for the answers to somehow appear in my mind so I can write them down.  It is like having to take a test I did not want to take either.  Anyway one looks at it, you’ll have to agree with me - answers to questions stirring around in my mind will need answering soon.

Verlon is doing so well I am questioning the diagnosis.  Of course he is taking the wonder drug Namenda and that may have him in the present time living in this century.  He is so normal, I’m having problems with the fact that he may be taking medication he doesn’t need because a Doctor (who did not know him, had no record of him before their initial meeting) has declared “he has dementia and it didn’t happen in the last three weeks.  This is severe and it has been coming on for a long time.”

“OK,” I have to nod.  Who am I to argue?  He is the Doctor and I know what I have seen and experienced at least this past year which seemed to be getting worse with each passing day.  His words sounded like an on target diagnosis at the time.  For sure “Dad” had not been with me for several weeks.  For the sake of repeating myself, he was mentally gone.  He came back after one 5mg dose of the medication.  Is that how it works?  Is it that much of a miracle drug?  Does it work with everyone this way?  Can I start leaning again on the man who has returned from his short journey to nowhere?  Do I dare relax and begin living again in my home with hopes of being here awhile longer?  How long will this last? Or is it permanent? 

When ask the question that is on the minds of many who have heard and sympathized, my blood pressure goes up for I do not have an answer to satisfy their ignorance.  It bothers me when people treat him like a moron who has no feelings, or the ability to answer a civil question concerning his health. 

“You don’t need to be driving, you may get lost…..”  Oh really now? Is that something one says to a seeing impaired person?  I don’t think so.  And neither does one say such unfeeling stuff to a person who has just received a diagnosis that doesn’t make sense.   Entreat him with a “Hello pop, how are you today?  Man it is good to see you up and around”, to which he can then reply with dignity “I am doing much better today thanks for asking.”

Where is our couth?  (very good manners or great social sophistication)  Evidently social graces have been thrown out the window with good grammar and compassion.  

As I said earlier I am angry; angry at my inability to understand.  Understand people at this point.  I’ve decided I am looking for normal responses to both of us who are closely scrutinizing the word that has been introduced into our lives.  I have to do research which is not a bad thing, as there are so many resources at my fingertips anymore to help me understand things I don’t.  And from what I am learning, there are no two cases exactly alike. 

Is it heredity?  Not necessarily?  It is an answer of “yes and no”.  Well that’s helpful!!  My dad died at almost 103 and his mind was very alert up to the last two-three weeks of his life.  What makes the difference?  I don’t know.  My in-laws died of other causes - not dementia.  Does it skip a generation if indeed it is inherited?  Your guess is as good as mine.

OK, I’ll agree with you who are thinking I’m jumping the gun.  I’m running amuck and traveling 100 miles down the road farther than I actually am.  Why not wait until September 5, and hopefully the Doctor will clarify all the gnawing questions - with good answers I can hang my hat on. 

So if you should feel the need to ask me a question concerning our diagnosis - don’t.  Not for a while at least.  My blood pressure goes up and I start having heat flashes - and today I stayed in Atrial Fibrillation for several hours.

You can however ask me “How are you doing?”  “How is pop doing”?  I’ll be glad to report we are doing each day what the day requires of us and very little more.    I may have more to report after our next Doctor’s visit.  I’d like nothing more than to set your mind at ease that either

1.    He will be on this medication for the rest of his life.

2.    The Doctor had to admit he made a rush judgment, as he did not have the entire test in front of him - like the MRI and blood work. 

3.    He apologized but could not compensate for the disruption of one family and many lives causing anxious moments due to his rush. 

Oh yes, these are the things I’d like to say to you - however…….

I’m experiencing the valley between the mountains I’m sure.  I’ve been there before.  It wasn’t this mountain, so the scenery is different this time.  The one cloud of dementia hangs heavy so I can’t always see the son, which I know is shining.  I wonder why one all ways feels alone when walking in Valleys?  David said, “Yea though I walk through the valley, with the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me.”   OK I got that one - he walked through the valley.  He didn’t stay there - did not linger there ­- he walked through.

I understand  now.   I’ll be on yonder mountain soon.  I’ll just have to keep walking and not be so hard on myself when I stump my toe - or get sore feet from walking - or even get angry.  It will be better again I’m sure of that. 



Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment