Friday, September 7, 2012

Starting month TWO

I'll apologize for the last post a few weeks ago.  I am feeling  much better.  Well not really, I did not sleep last night.  When the weather starts changing and getting a dab cooler, the pain of arthritis is so severe I cannot sleep.  Thus it starts my day of sluggish from lack of sleep.  Otherwise the subject of this blog lately has been a questionable diagnosis we are coming to terms with.

My anger has subsided as I said, and for the most part people have gained insight on how to greet Dad by asking direct questions concerning his health with out feeling intimidated.  That said....

Our appointment went well with the neurologists on Wednesday.  Greg went with us and heard the same thing I did.  There was no mention of the severity of dementia as there was last month.  I think he (Dr. Wright) was pleasantly surprised at how well he was doing.  I did not mind telling him "I wonder if you've misdiagnosed him".  He was quick to tell me he had not and I explained why I made the statement.

He accepted the medication had done the work and would check him in three months with more "memory" test.  So again it is a hurry up and wait and see situation.  I choose to believe the medicine may have helped, but prayers were also answered. 

I was told after the MRI tests were in (by a nurse I suppose, or an office worker) that there were NO ABNORMALITIES.  No abnormalities.  Part of anger on my last post was from questions they would not/could not answer.  So if there are NO abnormalities, then what the diagnosis of severe dementia?  Sounds like a fair question to me.  She would not give me an answer other than "The Doctor will discuss that with you at your next appointment".  So we have lived with the "misinformation" since then of there being no abnormalities.

I told the Doctor about the information I had, and he made me repeat it.  Then added, "Oh there has been a misunderstanding somewhere - there are abnormalities."

I'm thinking, they weren't my misunderstanding.  That's what I was told.  Either way - I'm hearing him explain the dead brain tissue that is NOT part of normal aging.  We left his office with at least something to plan around, and keep out in the open as far as our family is concerned.

Can it be reversed?  Dr. Oz says it can be.  I haven't checked it out, but believe me I will.  Dr. Oz has been on target on many things, so I'll go www'n and find the hour program he devoted to the subject.

I'll be back.  You've started this journey with me, and I'm glad to have a place to vent.  As long as you don't love me less for getting angry, not having all the answers, or being human, this ride should be a good one and educational for us all.

Doris

1 comment:

  1. From reading your posts, it sounds like you have sure had your plate full. Just know my prayers are with you and your husband. Hope you enjoy your know bloging space!

    ReplyDelete